Degenerative Eye Conditions
Dr. Chapa has trained with the best physicians in the WORLD training in China, Japan, S. Korea and the U.S. including world expert: Dr. Andy Rosenfarb.
After several years of training with Dr. Rosenfarb, Dr. Chapa is one of the few practitioners in the world that completed Dr. Rosenfarbs Ophthalmology fellowship in 2015.
Andy Rosenfarb, ND, L.Ac., Dipl.Ac., Dipl.C.H., founder and clinical director of Acupuncture Health Associates in Westfield, NJ, is a world renowned expert in the field of TCM ophthalmology. Since 1997, he has been leading the charge in integrated treatment methods that combine Traditional Chinese Medicine, Naturopathic Medicine and new cutting edge therapies to help people suffering from debilitating eye diseases to maintain and improve their eyesight.
Our integrated eastern medicine /naturopathic treatment program is individualized to address the unique needs of our patients and the underlying conditions associated with their eye disease.
Depending on the patient, this may include:
- Family medical history
- Extensive blood analysis
- Food allergy testing
- Nutrition and lifestyle counseling
- Micro acupuncture
- Acu-laser therapy
- Auricular acupuncture
- Herbal medicine
- Eye exercises
What to Expect
At our Acupuncture Center we offer a three, five or ten day treatment protocol. We recommend that first-time patients 10 sessions so we can get a full understanding of the patient and see how he or she responds to treatment.
- At the beginning of treatment, we review the patient’s medical history and request the patient conduct a recent series of vision tests (central acuity near and far, visual field, contrast and color vision) to establish a baseline from their primary physician. This is critical to determine the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Therapy consists of 2-3 30-minute treatment sessions a day with at least an hour break between treatments. Treatment methods vary depending on the patient and eye condition and may include micro-acupuncture, acu-laser therapy and electro-acupuncture.
- Nutritional supplements and herbal medicine may also be provided
- At the end of the ten treatments, we request the patient repeat the vision tests to determine if/how the treatments are working
- At the end of the treatment program, patients are provided with diet, lifestyle and supplement recommendations designed to address underlying health conditions, nourish their eyes and help maintain their eyesight. While up to eighty-five percent of patients respond positively to the treatment, there are some patients who do not respond to eastern medicine & naturopathic medicine.
New patients must understand that this is not a “miracle cure.” It takes time for some patients to see results where others see improvements right away. Once we recover whatever lost vision we can, the goal is to retain remaining eyesight through maintenance treatments. Degenerative eye conditions need ongoing maintenance and will only get worse if neglected. The frequency of maintenance visits vary depend on the patient and their individual conditions. Most patients return for treatment every three or four months for the first year, then continue with maintenance treatments twice a year, or whatever treatment frequency is recommended.